St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

For discussion of the various Class III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines. Their Class II holdings should be discussed in the relevant separate forums above.

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List

Re: St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

Postby gokeefe » Fri May 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Possible seasonal mill shutdown for maintenance.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Fritz » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 am

Hello,
A busy 24 hours along the SLQ in Vermont ...

Yesterday morning I caught up with the SLQ westbound 393 at Norton at 0828 and followed it to Coaticook at 0858 before I had to peel off to a meeting in Magog:

GP40-2 3047
QG GP40 3105
GP40-2 3008
7 centerbeam flats
1 covered hopper
7 NaClO3 hoppers
18 boxcars/hi-cube boxcars
3 tank cars
5 propane cars
1 hi-sided gondola

That's 42 cars total, including 17 loads and 25 empties.

Then, after hiking Bluff Mountain above Island Pond, we caught the SLQ eastbound 394 arriving in Island Pond at 2032:

GP40-2 304
QG GP40 3012
25-30 cars

I was distracted and didn't get a car count or consist.

Then, this morning, the SLQ westbound 393 departed Island Pond at 0805:

GP40-2 3035
QG SD40U 6904
RM-1 804
GP40-3 3905
9 centerbeam flats
1 bulkhead flat
1 NaClO3 hopper
10 boxcars/hi-cube boxcars
6 tank cars
8 propane cars

That's 35 cars total, including 8 loads and 27 empties.

George, I wondered about paper mills or other industry possibly being on "retooling" as an explanation for the shorter trains, but I know the Rumford mill was busy late last week (we drove by it on our way to and from Maine) and that would require that all the mills shut down at the same time (which certainly is possible). With the end of winter, propane car counts are way down, so that may be a lot of the explanation for the shorter trains.
Have a great day,
Fritz
Fritz

Postby NHV 669 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:26 pm

That seems to make the most sense. The trains I've been able to chase since moving home last Christmas have always seemed to be loaded with plenty of tanks, more so than any other type of car.
Casey
Living near right-of-ways since 1989. Old haunts include: childhood sightings of 669 being the last to "de-rust" the Berlin branch, late 90's summers trackside at the Wagon Wheel of Biddeford, ME, White River Junction, VT, Oneonta, NY, Colorado Springs, CO, and Santa Barbara, CA.
NHV 669

Postby gokeefe » Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 pm

Fritz wrote:George, I wondered about paper mills or other industry possibly being on "retooling" as an explanation for the shorter trains, but I know the Rumford mill was busy late last week (we drove by it on our way to and from Maine) and that would require that all the mills shut down at the same time (which certainly is possible). With the end of winter, propane car counts are way down, so that may be a lot of the explanation for the shorter trains.
Have a great day,
Fritz

It would depend in part on which mills are shipping product on the SLR. Also there can be a lag in terms of product shipping vs. shutdown. Tough to say for sure what really happened but going several days without any paper shipments at all seems to point to something more than just coincidence.

Thank you for your continued reports. Without them we really would be "in the dark".
gokeefe
gokeefe

Previous

Return to Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Class III Lines