CHICAGO - OMAHA CREW CHANGE POINTS

Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

CHICAGO - OMAHA CREW CHANGE POINTS

Postby shlustig » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:55 am

Can someone provide the crew change points (passenger and freight, engine and train) between Chicago and Omaha for: C&NW MILW CB&Q CRIP IC and CGW.
shlustig

Re: CHICAGO - OMAHA CREW CHANGE POINTS

Postby SooLineRob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm familiar with Through Freight crew districts, at least two of them...

Milwaukee Road, after the Pacific Extension (Lines West) were abandoned:

Savanna, IL to Bensenville (Chicago), IL.

Savanna to Dubuque, IA.

Dubuque to St Paul, MN.

St Paul to La Crosse, WI.

La Crosse to Portage, WI.

Portage to Milwaukee, WI.

Milwaukee to Bensenville (Chicago), IL.

Savanna to Ottumwa, IA.

Ottumwa to Kansas City, MO.

CB&Q:

Galesburg, IL to Cicero (Chicago), IL.

Galesburg to Creston, IA.

Creston to Lincoln, NE.

I don't know about passenger crew districts, but I can try and find out if the above is insufficient.
SooLineRob

Postby 2nd trick op » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:14 pm

If memory serves me correctly, IC usually changed crews at Freeport, Ill, Waterloo and Fort Dodge, Iowa. Rock Island had a major yard at Silvis, Ill, not far from its namesake city, and Des Moines, with a crossing of RI's Minneapolis-Kansas City "spine line" would have been a logical mid-point between Silvis and Council Bluffs. CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.

A Trains article from the summer of 1960 has start-to-finish narration of a ride on Illinois Central's CC-6, the flagship freight of that road's Iowa Division at the time.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)
2nd trick op

Postby SooLineRob » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:04 am

UPDATE:

Milwaukee Road passenger train crew change points Chicago to Omaha:

Engine Crew:

Chicago - Savanna, IL, - Pery, IA, - Omaha.

Train crew:

Chicago - Cedar Rapids, IA - Omaha.
SooLineRob

Postby shlustig » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks.
shlustig

Postby rrboomer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:19 pm

CRI&P:

Freight T&E
Silvis, Short Line, Council Bluffs

Passenger T&E
Rock Island Psgr Depot Des Moines Psgr Depot Omaha Psgr Depot
rrboomer

Postby 2nd trick op » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 pm

In a previous post on this subject, I made a reference to CRI&P crew changes:

Des Moines, with a crossing of RI's Minneapolis-Kansas City "spine line" would have been a logical mid-point between Silvis and Council Bluffs

I'm fairly certain that the "Short Line (Junction)" in the previous post refers indirectly to the same point, and would like Mr. rrboomer to confirm this, if so.
What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)
2nd trick op

Postby rrboomer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes Short Line Jct, which is just beyond the west end of the Short Line Yard is the same basic place.
rrboomer

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:58 am

The CB&Q had a crew change point in Ottumwa, IA. Chicago division crews ran Chi-Galesburg, East Ottumwa crews ran Galesb'g- Ottumwa, and West Ottumwa crews went to Creston. I don't know what the passenger crews ran, but I will find out.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby Minneapolitan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

SooLineRob wrote:Milwaukee Road...

Savanna to Dubuque, IA.

Dubuque to St Paul, MN.

Something about that doesn't seem right. St. Paul to Dubuque is too far, and Dubuque to Savanna is too short. Rather than Dubuque, I believe the correct crew change point on this route is Marquette, Iowa, across from Prairie du Chien, WI. I say "is" because that's still the way it's run in the Iowa Chicago & Eastern, which is former MILW.

It was at Marquette that the line split, with a main to St. Paul and the other main going across Iowa's northern tier through Mason City to Sioux Falls, Mitchell, and on to Rapid City. Today, the IC&E still goes as far west as Spencer, IA. Between Marquette and Mason City, there's a little town called Calmar, IA. Here, this line split again, turning north to Spamtown, USA, Owatonna, Fairbault, and St. Paul. If memory serves me correctly, this was the original line to St. Paul before the river route was completed.

2nd trick op wrote:CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.

It was Fort Dodge.
Nickel Plate Road should have merged with ERIE.

Duh.
Minneapolitan

Postby Thunder » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 am

You would be correct about Marquette Ia. being the crew change point. Also Spike is correct about the CB&Q Ottumwa jobs.Galesburg still has the pools set as Ottumwa East and Ottumwa West, even though they are all in the Burg now.
I've been everywhere!
Thunder

Postby Minneapolitan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:40 am

Minneapolitan wrote:
2nd trick op wrote:CGW's principal hub was at Oelwein, Iowa, but another crew change would have been required between Oelwein and the Omaha gateway.

It was Fort Dodge.

Oops...I'm full of $h!t. It was Clarion. Fort Dodge seems logical until one learns a little more about how CGW operated its system.
Nickel Plate Road should have merged with ERIE.

Duh.
Minneapolitan

Postby Engineer Spike » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Northwestern had Chicago-Clinton, Clinton-Boone, and Boone-Omaha. I'm not sure if there wasn't another district in the last Boone-Omaha though.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Return to Western Railfan