Texas Central HSR (Houston - DFW Dallas Fort Worth)

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Re: Texas HSR update

Postby electricron » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:38 pm

I guess the points he made I wish to highlight is that although governments may ease funding the large capital projects with low interest loan programs and tax free bonds programs that involve government support, these support programs don't actually involve government money. It's the banks granting the low interest loans and the bond holders buying the tax free bonds that are actually providing the money.
I suggest there are many private companies in many different type of business and individuals in America that take advantage of these various government programs.
For example, I used a government guaranteed VA loan to purchase my home. It's completely paid off today, but let's assume if I had failed to do so what would have happen. I would have lost my equity in the home, and the bank I borrowed the money from would have repossessed it, and eventually resold it. No federal monies would have been lost in my unfortunate misadventure. I suggest the same would happen if All Aboard Florida or Texas Central eventually fails.
Whether or not the Federal or State governments step in to run these trains later is a choice not yet made, they may or may not do so in the future. I'm sure those about to lose a lot of money will be screaming for a government takeover. To suggest government will do so one way or another is a big lie.
electricron

Postby merrick1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Don't many failed business ventures get a government subsidy in the sense that stockholders or bond holders are allowed to write off their worthless investment while the business reorganizes and continues to operate?
merrick1

Postby electricron » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:51 pm

merrick1 wrote:Don't many failed business ventures get a government subsidy in the sense that stockholders or bond holders are allowed to write off their worthless investment while the business reorganizes and continues to operate?

They will be able to declare bankruptcy, which eventually ends up in a court where a judge determines who gets what. They may or may not be able to write off debts and continue to operate. Although I expect railroads to continue to exist. At some time in the past, every large railroad company in America has declared bankruptcy, and most of the airlines have too. Again I repeat, it's the debtors, banks, and bond holders who lose - not the government. ;)
electricron

Postby pbj123 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 am

To the extent that a profitable company or individual can deduct losses from his taxable income, the public does ,in fact, underwrite failed investments to some degree. But so does a gambler. It is when the investment is "too big to fail" that the people are on the hook. Penn Central is a good example of that. A lot of public money was used to turn Conrail into the success that it became.
pbj123

Postby kaitoku » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:00 am

The Federal Railroad Administration announced this month that the general route preferred by the project developer of a high-speed rail line between Dallas and Houston is indeed the best choice.

Known as the “utility corridor,” it runs somewhat along high-voltage electrical transmission lines and capitalizes on relatively straight, existing easements.

“It’s of interest to us because it provides a source of power for our system, is straighter for a larger portion and therefore more suitable for the engineering,” said Tim Keith, chief executive of Texas Central Partners, the developer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpor ... -route.ece

Also, in North Texas:
A new allocation of public money supports connections for high-speed rail in North Texas.

The $4.5 million in public dollars from the Regional Transportation Council will be used for additional North Texas rail system design and planning in light of a private company's planned Houston-to-Dallas high-speed rail line.

Texas Central Partners hopes to offer a 90-minute trip by 2021, but it plans an end-of-the-line station near Downtown Dallas. The company refuses to accept public money.

The RTC wants connections to existing Dallas Area Rapid Transit light rail trains and high-speed rail service west to Fort Worth. North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Director, Michael Morris, said the RTC money will help answer many questions for the public.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/High-S ... 59901.html
kaitoku

Postby Balerion » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:55 am

Study finds high-speed rail line an economic shot for Texas

A study commissioned by Texas Central Partners, the company planning a high-speed train between Houston and Dallas, estimates the 240-mile line would have a $36 billion impact on Texas over the next 25 years.

FWIW.
Balerion

Postby kaitoku » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Texas Central selects joint venture for high-speed rail line's pre-construction work
Texas Central Partners announced today the company has selected Dallas to Houston Constructors (DHC) to perform engineering and pre-construction work for the private company's plan to build a high-speed rail line between Dallas and Houston.

The announcement is a milestone in the company’s history in that it moves the proposal into the pre-construction phase, company officials said in a press release.

DHC is a joint venture between Archer Western Construction and Ferrovial Agroman US Corp. Texas Central valued their work on the project at $130 million.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/h ... ork--46200
kaitoku

Postby electricron » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 am

FRA recently release alignment analysis
https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/Details/L17203
They have been eliminating potential alternate routings of the proposed utility corridor.
Many sections of the entire corridor has been settled, one section has been reduced to three routes, and another has been reduced to two routes.
Amongst the sections settled has been both terminus sections, the routes entering Dallas and Houston and how far to go into both cities. Reaching the south side of downtown Dallas is possible, but apparently there are too many environmental obstacles to overcome to reach downtown Houston. Looks like the Houston HSR station will be located near the northwest mall site near the intersection of US-290 and I-610.
The two sections where the route has not been finalized are
(1) Hockley area where the route leaves the US-290 corridor and (2) the Teague-Jewett area where the route has to maneuver around power plants, lignite mines, and oil & gas wells.

Amongst the factors being considered I found interesting is the minimum radius curve statistic being 15,000 feet. Which means maximum speeds could be achieved along the entire corridor until the approaches of Dallas and Houston. There will not be speed restrictions caused by sharp curves.
The other factor I found interesting was crossovers at station approaches having a speed limitation around 30 mph. Does anyone have an idea what the corresponding switching number would be, #4, #6, #8?
electricron

Postby kaitoku » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:15 am

A speed limit of 30mph would indicate a switch size of #12 or thereabouts.
kaitoku

Postby kaitoku » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Recent news:
Texas Central Partners LLC announced that it has added three new executives to help it develop a high-speed rail system between Dallas and Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news ... -high.html
*note that two of the three individuals named are connected with multinational contractor Balfour Beatty

A Japanese public-private fund has announced its intention to invest $40 million in Texas Central Partners LLP's proposed bullet-train service between Houston and Dallas.
The Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corp. for Transport & Urban Development (JOIN) received approval from Japan's Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism on Nov. 21 to invest in the Texas project, JOIN officials said in a press release.

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... ain--46625
kaitoku

Postby Paul1705 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Regarding the The FRA's Alternatives Alignment Report (November 6, 2015) and the elimination of the two downtown Houston alignments from consideration: Here's an article about the issue.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/11/amid-great-progress-texas-high-speed-rail-takes-a-big-step-back/416733/

See specifically pages 18 and 22 of the FRA report (I opened the PDF directly from the site). Here's the link again.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/Details/L17203

Apparently the last few miles are deemed too expensive and environmentally difficult, although some deeper level of analysis isn't published in the report. I'm not familiar with Houston. Can anyone describe why the north side of downtown would be difficult for a high-speed alignment?
Paul1705

Postby electricron » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:31 pm

The two routes into downtown Houston followed UP rail corridors, which have at grade intersections, and freight customers on either side of the corridor. To follow that corridor, Texas Central would have to build an elevate rail line adjacent to the existing UP tracks, but not in the UP right-of-way. Which would mean displacing industries and/or homes all the way from I-610 to downtown Houston. Both add additional expenses at a very high rate. Additionally, they would have to find a suitable location to place a station downtown, and apparently no one wanted to partner with Texas Central to do so. That adds even more additional expenses.

Compare that with the rail corridor they will use to reach downtown Dallas. The existing corridor is grade separated from local city streets, one side of the existing rail corridor that will be used has no structures, therefore no homes or industries to displace, and they found a developer in downtown Dallas willing to co-exist with a train station. They will still have to buy land adjacent to the existing rail corridor, but the land is vacant today. ;)

It's not just one factor that makes entering downtown Houston relatively difficult and expensive as compared to entering downtown Dallas, it's many factors.
electricron

Postby kaitoku » Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 am

DALLAS – Developers of Texas’ high-speed train have asked the federal Surface Transportation Board (STB) to confirm it has oversight of the project, bringing it in line with the nation’s other major passenger and freight railroads.

Texas Central recently filed a formal petition to the STB, asking that the agency affirm its jurisdiction over the project and to weigh in on critical next steps that will include construction and operation of the passenger link between North Texas and Houston, with a midway stop in the Brazos Valley.

Texas Central is required to seek STB certification of the project, thus complying with the federal regulatory process that all newly constructed rail lines must follow.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypressc ... l?mode=jqm

Houston officials still hopeful for downtown station:
A planned high-speed rail line remains a popular project with city officials, many of whom are holding onto hope for an eventual downtown terminal.
"We are looking at the best interests of the city," said District K Councilman Larry Green, noting the city is seeking an engineering firm to study a downtown rail link.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 424429.php
kaitoku

Postby kaitoku » Fri May 20, 2016 2:08 am

Central Japan Railway Co. will establish a fully owned subsidiary in Dallas to support the proposed high-speed rail project from Dallas to Houston, the company announced Wednesday.

The firm will station about 20 technical and operations experts in Dallas to work with Texas Central Partners, a Texas company backed by private investors that will build and manage the $10 billion to $12 billion undertaking.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... y-for.html
kaitoku

Postby kaitoku » Fri May 20, 2016 2:24 am

Just wanted to add this bit of info, which relates to the market which Texas Central Railway will serve:
On Thursday, the Census Bureau released its list of the most rapidly growing cities in America from 2014 to 2015 — and Texas cities dominated the list. Of the 11 fastest-growing cities in America with populations of at least 50,000, five were in the Lone Star State. (Incidentally, five of the eight cities that added the most people in sheer numbers were also in Texas: Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin.)
[...]
It’s not just that people are moving from one Texas city to another; rather, they’re moving from other states to Texas. Last year, nearly half a million people moved to Texas, according to Census Bureau data released in March. What’s more, the four largest metro areas in the state — Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio — “together added more people last year than any state in the country except for Texas as a whole,” the Census Bureau notes.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-11 ... 2016-05-19
kaitoku

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail