Base tunnels in North America: how, where, and why

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Base tunnels in North America: how, where, and why

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm not going far down this rabbit hole, but I dream of the day we can have similar base tunnels through the Appalachians and Pacific Coast ranges (Tehachapi and Cajon.) Glad the EU and Switzerland have embarked on these massive projects - and are completing them.
mtuandrew

Re: Lyon-Turin Base Tunnel

Postby mmi16 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

mtuandrew wrote:I'm not going far down this rabbit hole, but I dream of the day we can have similar base tunnels through the Appalachians and Pacific Coast ranges (Tehachapi and Cajon.) Glad the EU and Switzerland have embarked on these massive projects - and are completing them.

Now if the Swiss and EU will just pay for the massive US projects......

Nobody in the US will foot such a bill.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm

mtuandrew wrote:... this rabbit hole, but I dream of the day we can have similar base tunnels through the Appalachians and Pacific Coast ranges (Tehachapi and Cajon.)

Fantasy time again: If we had the funds, where could we use base tunnels, or just tunnels?
Worcester-Springfield, Pittsfield-Albany. Nah, at this point in time, it's one train a day. LOL.
Harrisburg-Pittsburgh. Probably the #1 need east of the Mississippi.
Charlottesville-Charleston. There's bound to be tunneling opportunities on the Cardinal's core route.
Roanoke-Bristol-Knoxville-Chattanooga-ATL/Birmingham. Twists and turns, but we need 110-mph to make it work.
ATL-Birmingham. Twisting its way thru the south end of the Appalachians, this route will need more and better tunnels to get 110-mph trains and heavy ridership.
Any route CHI-FL will encounter serious hills, or fair-sized mountains, where tunnels could be needed.

And then there's the West. California could use a handful of serious tunnels. But even if we tunnel under the Continental Divide in two or three places, or thru the Sierra Nevadas, nothing we could do could rival the costs of the European base tunnels.
Woody

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Port Jervis southeast to cnnection with NYSW? Would make the route up the Delaware a lot more viable for regional passenger rail as well as freight. Not really high on the list, but not having to climb the mountain and fight commuter traffic would probably change NS's traffic patterns significantly.

Agree with above poster(s): a tunnel to avoid the giant doglog on the route between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg would probably be the most important tunnel east of the Mississippi.

A freight tunnel to Long Island would probably be nice, but with so many containers already beginning thier land journey just across the river, it might not be as useful as hoped.

We are kind of blessed by geography in this country. Most of our tunneling needs would be quite small in comparison with Europe's.
SemperFidelis

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:43 pm

SemperFidelis wrote: A freight tunnel to Long Island would probably be nice, but with so many containers already beginning thier land journey just across the river, it might not be as useful as hoped.

I think the problem there would be finding enough land area on Long Island to support a container terminal big enough to justify the tunnel. I doubt that there would be enough carload traffic destined to individual sidings.
ExCon90

Re: Base tunnels in North America: how, where, and why

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Moderator's Note: my fault for going off-topic in the Lyon-Turin Base Tunnel topic, so I skimmed off the foam.
mtuandrew

Postby electricron » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 am

We're not going to see "base" tunnels in America because the Appalachians aren't high enough for them. The Rockies and Sierras are, but there aren't very large cities on both sides of the mountains close enough to make it worthwhile.
Heights of Gotthard tunnels are 1151 meters and 549 meters (3,776 feet and 1,833 feet), Alleghenny Tunnel is 2,167 feet (660 meters), Moffat Tunnel is 9,239 feet (2,816 meters), and Sierra summit tunnel is 7,000 feet (2,133 meters).
Denver may be fairly close to Moffat Tunnel to the east, the closest large city to the west is Salt Lake City, 508 rail miles away. For Donner Passs, Reno is 35 miles away to the east, Sacramento is 125 miles away to the west.
electricron

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Also, woe unto the engineer who has to tunnel through the fault lines between Bakersfield to Los Angeles (one of the few places it makes some sense in the USA.)
mtuandrew

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail