Albuquerque New Mexico Rail Runner Railrunner

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby blackroze79 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:00 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any current information regarding the Zia Location in Santa Fe? Will this be opening this year sometime? Or any links for information. Thank you!
blackroze79
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby neroden » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

blackroze79 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any current information regarding the Zia Location in Santa Fe? Will this be opening this year sometime? Or any links for information. Thank you!


Still appears to be delayed indefinitely. It was waiting for a "master plan" for the surrounding area to be approved by Santa Fe and the developers, and that simply hasn't happened yet.

Not delayed as long as Sandia Pueblo yet though.... I still don't know what's holding that up...
neroden
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby Eliphaz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 pm

are the trains turned at the termini? or is there a control car at the rear of the trains, and they run backwards, in if so which direction do they run engine forward?
User avatar
Eliphaz
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Amherst, MA

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby TB Diamond » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 pm

When I observed the operation in March 2008 all trains had the locomotive on the compass south end of the train. Control car was, of course, on the north end.
You can't go home again- Thomas Wolfe
TB Diamond
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby Ken W2KB » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:13 pm

TB Diamond wrote:When I observed the operation in March 2008 all trains had the locomotive on the compass south end of the train. Control car was, of course, on the north end.


That is what I noted at Santa Fe about 1-1/2 years ago.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]
User avatar
Ken W2KB
 
Posts: 5717
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby Amtrak7 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:39 pm

Say goodbye to weekend service come late August!

http://nmrailrunner.com/weekend-cut.asp

(Albuquerque, NM – June 17th, 2011) – As part of discussions and deliberations concerning balancing the FY12 budget, which is 1.2 million dollars less than the previous fiscal year's budget, the Rio Metro Regional Transit District Board voted to eliminate weekend service on the New Mexico Rail Runner Express. The board had been considering two weekday schedule options to address the budget reduction, but in a six-to-five vote earlier today, board members instead took action to eliminate weekend service to balance the Fiscal Year 2012 Federal budget.
Amtrak7
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Long Island / Pittsburgh

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby atsf sp » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 am

I was in Santa Fe today, why doesnt the train stay at the station between runs rather than moving down the line to a single track portion on the highway?
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos
atsf sp
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby electricron » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

atsf sp wrote:I was in Santa Fe today, why doesnt the train stay at the station between runs rather than moving down the line to a single track portion on the highway?


I assume to reduce diesel emissions and soot away from the train station because the locomotives idle between runs.
electricron
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby neroden » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:Say goodbye to weekend service come late August!

http://nmrailrunner.com/weekend-cut.asp

(Albuquerque, NM – June 17th, 2011) – As part of discussions and deliberations concerning balancing the FY12 budget, which is 1.2 million dollars less than the previous fiscal year's budget, the Rio Metro Regional Transit District Board voted to eliminate weekend service on the New Mexico Rail Runner Express. The board had been considering two weekday schedule options to address the budget reduction, but in a six-to-five vote earlier today, board members instead took action to eliminate weekend service to balance the Fiscal Year 2012 Federal budget.


Sigh. This is actively stupid; weekend service was getting higher ridership than weekday service on many weekends, and eliminating weekend service is an invitation to people to stop using the train.

This is the problem with mindless slash-and-slash budgeting. Raising 1.2 million dollars in taxes would have been the rational thing to do, though I don't know if they have the taxing power or are dependent on the whims of other officials (haven't followed the political structure of NM).
neroden
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby SlowFreight » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 pm

As of this week, weekend service will be retained, and other trains will be combined/curtailed/replaced by bus to get the budget savings needed. Management is attempting to get creative, and some of the communities are scrounging for dollars to help.
SlowFreight
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:27 pm
Location: The wilds of Brooklyn

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby MCHammer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:30 pm

There are quite a few improvements that need to be done

1) Scrap a 4:02 train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, I would try and have it based in Santa Fe instead.
2) Get power plug ins at Belen and Santa Fe, reduce diessel idling.
3) During the holiday periods (Christmas time, not Eve or Day) add an additional midday train, two years ago, a 5 car consist I was on was standing room only, I heard it was the same for the trip back.
4) Add some more P&R capacity. Albuquerque is very auto friendly, so getting people out of the car is hard due to a lack of a frequent transit network. Montano station should help with this.

There is definitely some success for this train since the Santa Fe portion was added, hopefully in the future, it can be uprgaded to 90 mph and service every two hours, but that is a long way off.
MCHammer
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby SlowFreight » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 am

MCHammer wrote:There are quite a few improvements that need to be done

1) Scrap a 4:02 train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, I would try and have it based in Santa Fe instead.
2) Get power plug ins at Belen and Santa Fe, reduce diessel idling.
3) During the holiday periods (Christmas time, not Eve or Day) add an additional midday train, two years ago, a 5 car consist I was on was standing room only, I heard it was the same for the trip back.
4) Add some more P&R capacity. Albuquerque is very auto friendly, so getting people out of the car is hard due to a lack of a frequent transit network. Montano station should help with this.

There is definitely some success for this train since the Santa Fe portion was added, hopefully in the future, it can be uprgaded to 90 mph and service every two hours, but that is a long way off.


You're not going to see any improvements that need capital investment for a while. People are struggling hard enough to keep the operation alive.
SlowFreight
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:27 pm
Location: The wilds of Brooklyn

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby neroden » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 am

Well, Sandia Pueblo station finally opened on August 25, 2011 (only a few *years* after its scheduled opening).

That just leaves Zia Road in the "indefinitely delayed" category.

They seem to have finished installing CTC on everything except a couple of miles surrounding the Albuquerque station, and the Santa Fe terminal area.

The purchase of the BNSF line north of Lamy appears to be temporarily dead thanks to the current state government not being able to spot a good deal when they saw one. :-P

Railrunner is now discussing raising fares, which everyone here thought were ludicrously low, so they'll probably do that.
neroden
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby Amtrak7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm

New fares: http://www.nmrailrunner.com/fare-survey.asp

A one way from ABQ to Santa Fe now costs $9 instead of $7. The day pass also increases by $2.
Amtrak7
 
Posts: 2190
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Long Island / Pittsburgh

Re: Alberquerque, New Mexico: Railrunner

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 am

On April 7,NMRX will resume the saturday service back to Sept 10 2011 levels and later on will revamp the weekday schedules.
On certain trains there is now a "quiet car",next to the power.
1set of equipment is kept in Santa Fe(plugged in) overnight and weekends that becomes train#504 weekday am
2 sets of equipment are kept on the siding "Richardson" during weekday service,that siding is in the I-25 median
done at City of Santa Fe request!
The Santa Fe depot was "updated" to ADA specs by the city of Santa Fe,the interior is "santized" now,the "charm" is gone,
and houses a city police "substation" as well.
Santa Fe Southern now sells their tickets on the platform.
Not sure on how to setup the link,the website is,www.nmrailrunner.com
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 5583
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests