St. Mary's Tunnel in the Bronx, N.Y.

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

St. Mary's Tunnel in the Bronx, N.Y.

Postby Spartan Phalanx » Thu May 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Can anyone share any information on the St. Mary's Tunnel in the Bronx, N.Y.? History, configuration, length, current use (if any???), etc. Thanks.
Spartan Phalanx

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 am

Current use: storing old automobiles and some trash. Branch was abandoned by CSX in 1999 or so. The branch has been lifted.
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon May 26, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------
I do not own this web site, nor do I serve any administrative function. Please contact the Site Administrator for assistance. -omv
Otto Vondrak

Postby shlustig » Sat May 24, 2008 12:53 pm

This was the route of the Port Morris & Spuyten Duyvil RR, subsequently acquired by the NYC&HR.

Under the NYC, there was a yard at Westchester Ave., another at Port Morris, and a connection to the NH.

The line was double-tracked and partially electrified. Very tight clearances limited operations, and the x-NH Oak Point Yard replaced Westchester Ave. & Pt. Morris after the NH inclusion into PC, c. 1969.

During PC, we had 3 RT's via the Branch and 1 via the NH (Devon / Shell).

Last consignee on the Branch was Bronx Refrigerator, just on the Mott Haven side of the Tunnel.
shlustig

Postby DogBert » Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 pm

Current condition as of a month ago is open sewer. Tunnel is flooded with what appears and smells like raw sewage, used syringes floating along down the river bile... It's currently possibly the single most disgusting place in the immediate NYC area.

Are there any maps of how the tracks were laid out along this line? I've always been curious about the two yards. westchester av was probably pretty small no?
DogBert

Re: St. Mary's Tunnel in the Bronx, N.Y.

Postby chnhrr » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:58 pm

I have come across some maps on the New York City Public Library’s Digital Collection.
They are from the Atlas of borough of the Bronx, Section 10, from actual surveys and official plans by G.W. Bromley and Co. (published 1921). Map, Plate 25, shows the Port Morris and Oak Point yards, the NYC’s power plant, and Casanova Station. Adjoining Plate 6 shows the tail end of Port Morris Yard and the New Haven’s Port Morris Station. Industries in the area are also depicted. Plate 7 shows the extent of the tunnel under a portion of St. Mary’s Park. In 1921 there doesn’t seem to be a track linkage between the two yards.

I have listed the address to Plate 25 below. The Plates or maps can be located using the websites search engine and the site has a zoom feature for greater detail. Large prints can be obtained from the NYC Public Library, but they’re expensive!

Can anybody tell me where I can get photographs of both yards? Right now, all I have are large sweeping areal views of the area.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... m=&pos=13#
chnhrr

Return to New York State Railfan