Bay Coast Railway?

Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

Bay Coast Railway?

Postby CPSK » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:29 am

Hi;
I'm mapping rr lines in the Del-Mar-Va area. Google Earth image of 2013 shows that the BCR yard at Cape Charles still has some activity. But looking at a more recent (2014) street-view map from the Old Cape Charles rd overpass, the yard looks abandoned. Farther up the line, it looks like BCR is still in operation though. Can anyone tell me how far south the line is still active?

Thanks

CP
CPSK

Re: Bay Coast Railway?

Postby BAR » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:19 pm

I am also curious about how much activity there is on the line. I passed through Cape Charles on Sunday, July 24 and there were about twenty covered hopper cars deep in the yard. There were also five covered hoppers in Nassawadox that day. My daughter drove up the Eastern Shore yesterday (7/30) and she called to tell me there were now nine covered hoppers on the Nassawadox siding. She also saw a train on Saturday (7/29) with a locomotive lettered for the Eastern Shore Railroad and two covered hoppers. If someone could provide an update on what active customers are located on the line it would be greatly appreciated.
BAR

Postby CPSK » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Did some additional Google Street View on Bayshore ave. There's a cement plant there - Bayshore Concrete - near the east end of the yard. Several covered hoppers there. Perhaps they still get deliveries by rail?
CPSK

Postby riffian » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Figures for the last available month (June 2016) show that Bay Coast handled a total of 352 carloads, but only 15 loads were from the Eastern Shore. KMX Chemical - 3 inbound cars; Coastline Chemical - 4 inbound cars; Bayshore Concrete - 4 inbound cars; and Pep Up Gas - 4 inbound cars. The other 337 cars were handled on the Little Creek side where there are several good sized customers. Accomack County Transportation Commission website has monthly figures, broken down by consignees.
riffian

Postby BAR » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Accomack County website. I will check car volume there in the future.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
BAR

Postby riffian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Are the two derelict units still at Cape Charles?
riffian

Return to DelMarVa & Washington, D.C. Railfan