End of the line for Army Rail units

A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

End of the line for Army Rail units

Postby RailVet » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Got the word this afternoon from one of my still-serving Army Rail buddies that the remaining USAR rail units, all companies and detachments within the 757th Transportation Battalion (Rwy), will be phased out by 2015. The 226th Transportation Company (Rwy) at Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee, MA, will be the first to go in 2010. Most members of the company have already been cross-leveled into the 88N (Transportation Management Coordinator) MOS and forced into another unit pending the phase out. An E-7 is the acting commander until he is transferred to another unit.

Although there will still be Army civilian employees and contractors operating railway equipment on Army installations, there will be no more soldier railroaders.

Railway MOSs were deleted from the active Army in May 1976 and the last active duty unit, the 1st Railway Detachment, was inactivated on 30 Sep 78. The last active duty rail battalion, the 714th, was inactivated in mid-1972. Since the late 1970s, rail MOSs and rail units have only existed in the Army Reserve.
RailVet

Re: End of the line for Army Rail units

Postby The Tenth Legion » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 am

Another short-sighted move, much like the elimination of the Army Reserve's combat units between 1965 and 1995. I believe there are only two AR Apache attack helicopter battalions left, the 7/6th Cavalry and 8/229th Aviation, and one infantry battalion, the 100/442nd Infantry. But I guess the paper-pushers know best.... :wink:
The Tenth Legion

Postby RailVet » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:49 am

The post-Cold War reorganization that eliminated most combat arms units from the Army Reserve force structure was intended to concentrate combat arms units in the National Guard and focus on combat support and combat service support units in USAR. Having been in and served alongside combat arms units in USAR years ago, I can safely say we're not missing anything by their inactivation.

As for rail units, no rail battalions have been deployed overseas since the Korean War, and USAR rail unit involvement in actions of recent years (i.e., the Balkans, the occupation of Iraq, etc.) has been minimal. Units that are used in current or projected future operations tend to get inactivated.
RailVet

Postby RailVet » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Ooops! Typo there. I meant to write, "Units that AREN'T used in current or projected future operations tend to get inactivated."
RailVet

Re: End of the line for Army Rail units, let's get their history

Postby DaveW » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Group of us are trying to record the history of the MRS, particularly WWII, Korea and after before it's all gone.

Please see our website, Military Rails Online.

http://www.griffincunningham.net/Griffi ... bstuff.htm

Contributions or input would be appreciated.

Dave
DaveW

Return to General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military